e-Storage does offer you the option to purchase optional cover to insure your belongings. Please read the summary of insurance cover below, describing the additional cover purchased.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE?
Subscribing the optional insurance cover is done by competing the value of each item in the item’s detailed description on the inventory and subsequently checking the box to confirm you want to insure that item for that value.
To benefit from cover to protect your items during transportation and handling it is important that you provide the insurance value and subscribe the optional insurance before the end of the month in which e-Storage first collected your belongings.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
e-Storage charges a monthly premium (40 basis points) on the total value of the items you selected to insure. This premium is subject to 12.5% Insurance Premium Tax.
ITEMS CURRENTLY INSURED
- Can we have a list of items and their insurance values?
- With a total at the bottom?
SUMMARY OF INSURANCE COVER
e-Storage has arranged for an optional insurance for loss of damage to your property. If you decide to purchase this optional insurance cover the insurance conditions set out below will apply. Please note that irrespective of whether or not you purchase this insurance, the liability of e-Storage for loss or damage to your property whilst in its care, custody or control is limited by its trading conditions which form part of the contract between e-Storage and yourself.
You can give e-Storage the instruction to insure by assigning a value on each item stored and checking the box, confirming your instruction to e-Storage for e-Storage to insure this item on your behalf. Subject to you giving e-Storage the instruction to insure, e-Storage will arrange on your behalf insurance underwritten by Amica for AXA Versicherung AG and Others to cover physical loss or damage to your property within its “Open Cover” insurance arrangements as summarised below. The complete policy is available for you to inspect at our offices. Please note, the cover provided by e-Storage is optional.
TOTAL SUM INSURED
The sum of all values as declared to e-Storage on each item’s detailed description. Unless conﬁrmed in writing by e-Storage the sum insured shall not exceed £ 250,000 for any one customer
For customers that have subscribed to the Business and Classic plans, the insurance covers all risks of physical loss or damage in transit or store anywhere in the United Kingdom provided they subscribe the additional insurance cover before the end of the month following the collection and do not interrupt the insurance cover before delivery. Failing to do so will limit the cover to the cover for our Basic plan customers.
This insurance is effective from the time your insured property is professionally packed and/or uplifted from your residence or business location for the commencement of the transit and continues, including storage, until your insured property is professionally delivered. If your property is professionally unpacked coverage is extended to cover the period of the professional unpacking provided this takes place within 7 days of delivery.
For customers having subscribed to the Basic plan the cover is limited to the following perils: Physical loss of or damage to your property caused by fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, bursting &/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance, aircraft or articles dropped therefrom, moth, insect or vermin from an external cause, theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the storage facility, riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage, impact by vehicles of any kind.
For Basic plan customers this insurance is effective from the time your insured property is delivered at the e-Storage warehouse and ceases upon collection from our warehouse – no cover applies during loading and unloading or during transit.
It is a condition of the insurance that the sum insured represents the full total value of your property. If you fail to declare the full replacement value of your property, in the event of a claim you will only be entitled to recover from Insurers the proportion of the loss as the declared value bears to the total replacement value of your property.
BASIS OF CLAIMS SETTLEMENT
The settlement of any claim shall be by replacement, repair and/or compensation, taking into consideration at underwriters option the age, quality, degree of use and consequent market value. This policy is not “new for old”.
Documents Where any claim includes loss of or damage to documents the basis of settlement shall relate to the reasonable costs of reprinting and/or reasonable costs of reissue and/or reconstitution including, where applicable, fresh research or exploration to obtain essential information.
An Excess of GBP 1,000 applies to each and every loss as follows:
Excess to be paid by yourself – GBP 50
Excess paid by e-Storage – GBP 950
PAIRS & SETS LIMITATION CLAUSE
Where any items of your property are part of a pair or set Insurers shall only pay for the actual items which are lost or damaged. No payment will be made by Insurers for any items which are part of a pair or of a set and which are not lost or damaged.
OWNER PACKED PROPERTY
For items packed by yourself the loss or damage arising from the following is excluded:
Breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing unless directly caused by fire or collision or overturning of the transporting conveyance.
Missing items of cartons or packages unless an itemised valued list of contents of each carton or package is supplied by you to e-Storage prior to collection.
YOUR DUTY TO PROVIDE INFORMATION
It is your duty to take reasonable care to answer all questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge and commercial customers must make adequate enquiries within your business to identify and verify that information relevant to the insurance of your property is disclosed. If you do not, your insurance policy may be cancelled or treated as if it never existed or your claim may be rejected or not paid in full. It is important that all statements you make on all documents are full and accurate. Failure to accurately provide requested information could invalidate your insurance cover and mean that part or all of a claim may not be paid.
CONSUMER RIGHT TO CANCEL
Insurers have to give you certain information before you make your decision. If you have not been given this information when you buy your insurance (and you have not told e-Storage, you do not want it) Insurers will allow you a “cooling off” period of at least 14 days from the time you receive the information. If you do not want to continue with the insurance, you may cancel your cover within this period and receive all your money back (as long as you have not made any claims).
You have the right to cancel this insurance without penalty at any time PRIOR TO THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE INSURANCE. Once the insurance has commenced, your right to cancel ceases and you will be charged the full premium for the insurance.
In the event of loss and/or damage that may give rise to a claim under this insurance, immediate notice must be given in to e-Storage. Unless a time extension has been requested by you, and agreed by e-Storage in writing, it is a general condition under this insurance that full details of any losses and/or damages for removals and storage must be notified within 7 days after delivery or, in the case of non-delivery, within 7 days from when your property would normally be delivered. These time limits apply whether or not your property has been unpacked. For Basic Plan customers full details of any losses and/or damages must be notified at the time of the discovery of the loss of or damage to your property or at the time of collection of your property from the e-Storage warehouse whichever is sooner.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMPLAINTS
Insurers are dedicated to providing a high-quality service and want to ensure that this is maintained this at all times. If you feel you have not been oﬀered a ﬁrst class service please contact International Claims Agency Ltd (ICA) who will do their best to resolve the problem. ICA’s contact details are:
International Claims Agency Ltd,
Unit 10, Invicta Way,
Ramsgate, Kent CT12 5FD United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0)1843 823820
Fax: +44 (0)1843 823956
In the event that the Complaints Department is unable to resolve your complaint it may in certain circumstances be possible for you to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
Harbour Exchange Square
London E14 9SR
Tel No: 0800 023 4567
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Insurers are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation from the Scheme if we cannot meet our obligations to you under this contract. If you were entitled to compensation under the Scheme, the level and extent of the compensation would depend on the nature of this contract. Further Information about the Scheme is available from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (10th Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London EC3A 7QU) and on their website: www.fscs.org.uk
No cover is provided for the following.
- Jewellery, Watches, Precious Stones, Money, Coins, Bullion, Deeds, Bonds, Securities and Stamps of all kinds except whilst in store in a locked safe or strong room.
- Furs, perfumery, tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, wines, mobile phones and spirits. It is agreed, however, that cover will be provided for these items where they are part of a household or oﬃce removal or storage contract subject to a limit of £10,000 any one customer, any one job.
- Livestock, Plants, Explosives, Flammables
- Any other property which you are not permitted to submit for removal and/or storage under the terms of the trading conditions of the Company.
- Loss or damage caused by wear, tear, gradual deterioration (including the deterioration of contents of deep freeze units), inherent vice or latent defect.
- Loss or damage caused by moth, insect or vermin unless from an external cause.
- Loss or damage caused by leakage of liquid from a receptacle or container unless packed by the Company.
- Mechanical or electrical damage or derangement of any mechanical or electrical items unless reasonably attributable to physical damage to such items from an external cause, or following ﬁre, ﬂood, collision or overturning of road vehicles or other conveyances.
- Loss of data records other than cost of blank data carrying materials.
- Any consequence of War, Invasion, Act of Foreign Enemy Hostilities (whether War be declared or not), Civil War, Rebellion, Revolution, Insurrection or Military or Usurped Power or conﬁscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority. This exclusion shall not apply to overseas removals whilst your property is waterborne.
- Loss or damage in respect of property in storage caused by or resulting from Acts of Terrorism or any person(s) acting from a political motive. This exclusion shall not apply to storage in the ordinary course of transit as more fully set out in the Termination of Transit Clause (Terrorism).
- Ensuing or indirect losses resulting from or as a consequence of claims made for loss or damage to your property.
- Depreciation following repair or restoration of a damaged item.
- Loss or damage or liability or expense directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to, by, or arising from:
- Ionising radiations from or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel.
- The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any nuclear installation, reactor or nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- Any weapon of war employing atomic or nuclear ﬁssion and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter.
- The radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter. The exclusion in this sub-clause does not extend to radioactive isotopes, other than nuclear fuel, when such isotopes are being prepared, carried, stored, or used for commercial, agricultural, medical, scientiﬁc or other similar peaceful purposes.
- Loss or damage or expense directly, or indirectly, caused by or contributed to, by or arising from:
- Any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or electromagnetic weapon.
- The use or operation, as a means for inﬂicting harm, of any computer, computer system, computer software program, computer virus or process or other electronic system.
- Loss, destruction or damage directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
- Loss or damage resulting from any work undertaken against the professional advice of the e-Storage crew.